Tuesday 27 August 2013

Family Ties

I hope you're all prepared to be smooshed by gooey talk. 
Okay, I'm only kidding, don't freak out. Today I want to talk about families, and why they're so important. 

Firstly, you should know I write my blogs based on whatever's really stood out for me throughout the week. This week, it's family. Yep. I can't say it's all been wonderful, but it's usually when things go wrong that you realise how important it is. Let me explain this: you only know what you've got when it's gone, right? It's the same with family. If you have a fight with a parent, sibling/cousin etc., you realise how much better it is to be at peace with those people. 

Let's face it: half the time you wonder if your family is only there to drive you crazy. And it's true. They do drive you crazy, and that's not going to change just because you're getting older (spoiler alert). Basically, there's no point wishing they would change just because time has passed. The beauty of family is that they find new ways to drive you up the walls. When you're five, your siblings drive you mad by stealing your toys. When you're twelve, you get grounded and treated like you're still eight. You make it to sixteen, thinking Of course they'll take me seriously. You get a lovely surprise on the other end of that one, but I won't spoil a second hope on the same blog. 

Don't be fooled though: adulthood doesn't stop it from happening. The point is, your family can drive you crazy your whole life long. But you're probably doing it to them, too, so please don't go around acting like a victim around them. They're not bad people, they just know you too well, and vice versa. There is a bright side to all of this; please bear with me! I need to cover the crappy bits first.

I can promise that no one else you come across in life will fight you, bully you, hurt you, forgive you and look after you the way your family will. Sure, they're the most frustrating human beings in your life, but they're also the only people who will be there for you when no one else is. Wrap all of that into a big ball of DNA sequences, and you have unconditional love. I grew up with seven siblings, and we all took our turn doing stupid things that friends would've given up on us for. But our parents never did. And that's the difference between friends and family. Don't get me wrong: I have some truly amazing friends that I would not trade for the world, and I'm not saying that you can't have great, supportive friends. Hell yes, you can. I do, too. However, if we put things into retrospect, the majority of your friends would not put up with and forgive half of the crap your family does. Feel free to disagree; I'm just speaking from my own experience.

Another big thing about family is that they have your back. Every time one of my siblings had some weird or ridiculous-sounding expedition or task to do, we all had to help. Even when it meant giving up my entire Saturday, I got into it and helped them out. Why? Not because I love carrying bricks around for my dad, or standing in the heat of the midday sun to rake the leaves. Of course I have better, more interesting things to do. But I know, with a certainty as strong as oxygen, that when I need help with something, they will do the same for me. Again, I'm not putting friends down, but they usually don't stick around for all of your boring plights the way your family will. There's nothing more supportive than that, people.

The sad truth is, these days a lot of families are torn, broken or disconnected, and they miss out on that support system a family provides. That's why it's so important to appreciate them now. Your mother isn't telling you not to go to that party because she wants you to suffocate in the house. And your dad isn't rejecting that boy/girl you want to go out with because he wants you to die alone with fifteen cats. You should remember that your parents have walked the road before you, and they probably know what they're talking about when they tell you something isn't good for you. If you saw your best friend walking into a trap, you'd stop them, right? Your parents are just doing the same thing. They love you, and you don't let someone you love walk into things that will hurt them later on. 

At the end of the day, you won't always understand why your family (including extended family) does or says the things they do. But one day, when you're wiser and older, you'll know it was for your own protection; even if that's not the outcome you got. As bad as it sounds, your family are the only people you can trust will always want the best for you. And if you feel punished because your parents are disciplining you, just remember that they want you to be the best person you possibly can. 
When I was six, I was eating lunch with my family one day. Being curious and immature, I decided to stick my finger into the tub of margarine and scoop out a lump. My dad saw me do it, and immediately ordered me to eat it. I protested, but he won in the end. I never forgot the horrible taste of plain margarine down my throat. I thought he was trying to torture me; when in reality, he was teaching me a valuable lesson. Every time I even though of wasting food since then, I stopped myself, remembering the margarine. What's my point? At the time, it can seem like your family wants to treat you badly to punish you. The truth is, I wouldn't take that lesson back for the world. You learn the most valuable lessons through the worst of times. Sure, that wasn't necessarily the worst of times, but when you're six, it sure does feel like it.

After having a wonderful weekend with my family, I was reminded of the warm, loving feeling you get from no one else. My best memories were made with them, and I wouldn't trade them for anything else. That's why it's so important to appreciate your family. They won't be around forever, and there's no better time than right now. Sure, my dad and I don't always see eye to eye on everything, but he's been at every award's night and special school assembly to support my achievements. I fight with my sister almost daily, but she's the best friend I have. I get lost in translation with my mother all the time, but I don't know anyone who would sacrifice as much as she has for me. And I know for a fact, that everyone has a family -- big or small, one parent or two -- that they can be thankful for.

You don't need to have a perfect family to be a happy one. In fact, I don't know anyone who does have a perfect family; and I don't believe they exist anyway. Just know that they've got you when nobody else does. Surely, that has to be enough to get you through the rest.















No comments:

Post a Comment